Home Parent & Nanny Forum Parent and Nanny Forum Should I accept a weekly rate?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was recently asked if I would be open to accepting a weekly rate versus hourly due to the amount of hours needed. (Newborn,45-60) I’m not sure how to approach the issue?? I’m concerned they could be asking this because they’re trying to save money or possibly trying to get a cheaper, flat rate. What’s the best way to approach this as a professional nanny? They need to know that a nanny must be paid hourly, otherwise it’s illegal.

Emily Louange

You are right Monica, your employer should be paying you hourly not a flat weekly rate.

Even though paying a flat rate “seems the simplest and most efficient way to do things; however by law a nanny is an hourly employee and entitled to pay for all hours worked at the hourly rate, and may be entitled to overtime. The Fair Labor Standards Act specifies that household workers are to be paid hourly”

This is my source I quote from: http://info.homeworksolutions.com/blog/offering-a-nanny-a-salary-what-you-need-to-know

Anytime over 40 hrs per week, you should be getting time and a half, so a flat weekly rate would likely not be in your best interest.

Yes, they could be suggesting a flat rate in order to pay less or they may not know. I would approach it by trying to give them the benefit of the doubt and share information and resources with them. Yes, it is their responsibility as domestic employers to do due diligence and know their responsibilities but there is a lot of conflicting information out there. Hope this help 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.