Advance Your Nanny Career: Diplomas, Certifications & Training
High quality childcare isn’t just a matter of years of experience. Many childcare providers don’t know what they don’t know. The best childcare professionals continue to learn to improve their knowledge and skill. When nannies invest in themselves, it shows!
If you possess only common knowledge, you will stay put in a low paying job position. Like any profession, career advancement largely depends on the time and effort you invest in education and training to obtain higher knowledge. When an educated nanny interacts with potential employers, it is VERY evident. Well trained nannies are in demand. Education and training sets you apart from the rest.
To answer our questions on nanny training, we went straight to an expert who shares our vision of elevating the nanny industry. Elizabeth Malson of Amslee Institute answers our questions.
What are the benefits for nannies to continue their education?
“The primary differentiation between a nanny and sitter is that sitters supervise children while nanny’s provide structured environments and activities that enhance a child’s social, emotional, intellectual and physical development. Childcare development training teaches these fundamental skills to nannies while continuing education adds practical tips to help nannies enhance age appropriate care.
Investing in customized Nanny training allows nannies to:
- Gain confidence and skills to provide developmental childcare
- Qualify for top jobs with families that value training and experience
- Demonstrate commitment to quality childcare by investing in professional development
Families and agencies seek high quality nannies that establish themselves professionally by investing in advanced childcare training and having at least 3 years of paid childcare experience.”
What are the basic certifications that every childcare provider should hold?
“When working with children, all sitters and nannies should have:
- Current CPR certification– guidelines now offer a hands-only CPR approach which provides chest compressions without mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
- Current First Aid certification– this is essential as children are less coordinated and can fall while playing. Getting certified not only provides confidence to provide care, it also increases the comfort of the injured child and can prevent many situations from getting worse.
What are the other classes and certifications that are useful for childcare providers?
- General water safety- classes are included in robust childcare training programs for nannies but advanced training including lifeguard training is an asset that is highly valued by many families.
- Car seat installation classes and certifications– many state agencies, local healthcare systems and hospitals offer car seat installation classes and certifications.”
What does a degree in early childhood development entail?
“Early childhood education is relates to the teaching of children from birth up to the age of eight. Requiring a two to four year investment in college, early childhood associate and bachelor degrees are designed for preschool or elementary school teachers, childcare center directors, and family support specialists. These programs focus on classroom environments and how to use school provided resources.”
What are other diploma and certificates for nannies?
“When considering training programs, take time to investigate the organization’s reputation and licensing. The quality of an educational experience also depends on the instructors as students should learn positive discipline from a child psychologist, health from physician assistants and pediatric nurses, nutrition from dietitians, legal requirements from a lawyer, and early childhood development from experts. Be wary of programs that offer certifications without requiring classes, exams, work experience, and/or references.
Amslee Institute offers the following affordable, college-level, nanny specific training:
- Basic Childcare Diploma and Certification– This 10 hour program for new nannies focuses on how to provide a safe environment when caring for children. Classes include understanding children of all ages, emergency planning, water safety, and the legal requirements when working in childcare. The nannies and babysitters are taught practical skills to help manage stress and use positive discipline techniques.
- Intermediate Childcare Diploma and Certification– This 20 hour program for experienced nannies focuses on age appropriate childcare with individual classes on infants, toddlers, preschoolers and primary years. Nannies are taught practical skills that advance physical care, nutrition, motor skill development, and provide enrichment activities including literacy and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math).
- Professional Childcare Diploma and Certification – The Professional Childcare Diploma and Certification shows that you’ve successfully passed a rigorous training program with a curriculum specifically designed for nannies. Earning this reputable and valued distinction requires 45 hours of training, passing 5 proficiency exams, completing a student project, submitting 5 professional references, and providing documentation of at least 2 years of full-time childcare care or equivalent.
Newborn Care Solutions is a great option if you’d like to focus on the care of newborns:
- Newborn Care Certification– nannies and sitters learn about newborn care, night nanny work, the difference between a nanny and doula, and tips to build a safe nursery.”
Are there any other training or seminars for nannies?
“Conventions and events, such as Nannypalooza and interNational Nanny Training Day offer seminars and classes on various topics important to the nanny community.
The International Nanny Association also hosts an annual event.
Other training and skills valued by families include foreign languages, tutoring, and cooking skills. These are great ways to expand a nanny resume and offer additional services.”
Thank you so much Elizabeth!
With so many great options, we hope you will take the bull by the horns to advance in your nanny career. If you haven’t yet check out our affiliate partner, Amslee Institute, definitely do! Amslee provides the only online nanny training programs licensed by the Department of Education. We highly recommend you check our their programs taught by college faculty and search for your next nanny position on viathevillage.com!
We go beyond connecting families, nannies, and nanny shares- we invite you to find community!
If you are interested in contributing to our community blog, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!