Home Parent & Nanny Forum Parent and Nanny Forum Any tips or tricks on helping a shy child with transition of new nanny?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Please share yours!

Before the start date, we had our nanny bring our daughter to the zoo. Just the two of them. We figured, it would be a nice way to ease her in. It was something fun they could do rather than just jumping into a regular old 10 hour day.

Lori M.
    Participant

As a nanny, I always bring a fun bag when I go to meet a new child. Yes, like Mary Poppins. Although my bag isn’t magical, it works like magic! The toys, games, and books usually peak interest enough for even the shy kiddos to come on over to see what else is inside.

Kimberley Roberts

Lori M., that is a great suggestion! I, too, bring my “magic bag” the first week with a new family. It’s also a great way to find out what a child is interested in and get a sense of their personality.

Emily L, having the nanny take the child on a fun outing is another great suggestion. Making fun memories early on is super important, and can help both parties feel more comfortable with each other. I just started a new position a few weeks ago with two school-aged girls. The first week, we went for a bike ride to a brunch spot and then went bowling. It was a great way to get to know them in a relaxed setting.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.